POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : povray web site : Re: povray web site Server Time
5 Aug 2024 06:13:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povray web site
From: Peter Popov
Date: 3 Nov 2002 06:10:23
Message: <5g0asu05gdber5n534s742glsss5ajrae3@4ax.com>
On Sat, 2 Nov 2002 20:36:53 -0500, "Slime" <slm### [at] slimelandcom> wrote:

>Mmm, I've always argued that designers should specify font sizes in such a
>way that lets the user resize them.

It's a browser thing, actually. Modern browsers allow you to override
font sizes in the browser.

>Point in case, right here: If some users
>can't read the content on your site, who cares if it looks correct pixel for
>pixel?

Modern OSs supply accessibility features that are supposed to help
users with accessibility problems experience computing at levels close
to those of users without.

>This isn't aimed at anyone in particular, just those web designers who think
>that specifying font sizes in 'px' is a good idea.

It will remain a good idea as long as pixels are the only truly native
measurement for screen. Points are native for printing only. That's
why you'll find only pixels in my @media screen rules and only points
(or inches) in my @media print rules.

>I don't think I ever
>mentioned the povray.org web site in my arguments, but this is a good
>example of why putting the user's needs before yours is important. Font
>sizes should be specified with keywords or ems or percentages.

NO! Not until all browsers conform to the standards, until then it's a
mess. NS ignores cascading rules for em and % sizes, even 6.0 and 7.0,
and then there are the poor last-century souls using 4.x whose case is
even more desperate.

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] vipbg